Last night was a good TV night. I have found some good entertaining programs that I thoroughly enjoy, one of which is, “The Voice”. Down to the last 4 & the last competing night before the final vote.
What amazed me last night was how much my favorite has developed. It is obvious that the mentoring was given seriously & was absorbed by my favorite. The relationship that has developed between the mentors & their “students” has been interesting to watch. The relationships have deepened; respect & admiration having grown.
As I watched each student sing a duet with their mentor, it quickly became evident how like their mentor they had become over the 10 weeks. As the weeks continued on, the thought occurred to me —- it is critical to surround ourselves with what we want to become.
Several quotes came to mind:
- “Tell me what company you keep & I’ll tell you what you are.”
- “You may know a man by the company he keeps.”
- “He who keeps company with wolves will learn to howl.”
Scripture also has something to say about the friendships we allow into our lives:
- “Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Proverbs 13:20 NLT).
- “Don’t befriend angry people or associate with hot-tempered people, or you will learn to be like them and endanger your soul.” (Proverbs 22: 24,25 NLT).
- “A good person who gives in to a bad person is a muddied spring, a polluted well.” (Proverbs 25:26 MSG).
What a great show “The Voice” turned out to be! Although I will never sing per se, I learned much from this show regarding the worth of the people that surround me. We absorb more than we realize from the company we keep.
What qualities are in the people surrounding your life?
May God give us wisdom in the relationships that are in our lives.