It is a word that presents challenges each & every day.
Each day has 24 hours. What we do with them is entirely up to us.
What is interesting to me is how often we look forward to “tomorrow”.
Have you ever noticed that? Have you ever found yourself doing this?
- tomorrow I will start my diet
- tomorrow I will clean the house
- tomorrow I will pay that bill
- tomorrow I will call that person, write that card, send that email, go visit
- tomorrow I will play with the kids
- tomorrow I will start my exercising or go to the gym, etc.
- tomorrow I will start doing my devotionals, start praying, start spending time with God
- tomorrow I will start reading that book
- tomorrow I will apologize
- tomorrow I will forgive that person
We mean each of these so sincerely, today. But then tomorrow comes. And with its arrival, it seems to bring its own set of challenges & things that need to get done. So what do we do?
We say, “Tomorrow I will……”.
Today I am reminded of a verse in Hebrews 3:15 which says this…
“Remember what it says: “Today when you hear his voice, don’t harden your hearts as Israel did when they rebelled.” (NLT).
See, when God directs us or speaks to us, we need to obey & act. When we wait or procrastinate (OK, I used the word that we all HATE!!), something happens to our hearts-they become calloused. As we ignore His direction, we will lose the fervor we felt. The compulsion cools off.
We are also told in James 4: 13-17 (NLT):
13 Look here, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.”14 How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone.15 What you ought to say is, “If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.”
16 Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil.
17 Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.
So it is today. You have this 24 hours. What is it that you know you need to do? Get with it! Start now. Do it today. Bottom line? Today was yesterday’s tomorrow. Today will be tomorrow’s yesterday. Weird way to think about it yet it sure puts today in perspective.
I best go get some things done…..