At this time of the year, we can read a host of “Top 10 of the Year” lists & posts.
This past year, I had set my goal to read more. I have always loved to read. So it was not surprising to me that I challenged myself to read more. I quickly realized that with the internet, blogs, twitter posts – it was making the time to sit & read, concentrating on 1 book at a time – that was the real challenge. I could easily become distracted by all the other forms of media that present any number of things I could read. And much of them, good stuff as well. But my challenge this year was to read more BOOKS.
With that said, here is my list of the top 10 books that impacted my life this year. They are in no particular order so I will not even number them:
- Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker
- What Women Fear by Angie Smith
- Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow
- The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning (whatever took me so long to read this one????)
- Island of Saints by Andy Andrews
- Hidden in Plain Sight by Mark Buchanan
- The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan
- Deliver Me From Evil by Kathi Machias
- One Thousand Gifts by Ann VosKamp
- 7 an experimental mutiny against excess by Jen Hatmaker
There were others to be sure. But these were life impacting. Life changing. And they are still changing my life. So as this year is coming to a close & I am challenging myself to read even more in 2012, I am putting together my list for 2012 of “books to read this year”. Help me out….
What did you read this past year? What books are on your nightstand? What are your recommendations? I would love for you to share some titles with me.
In 2012, may I, may we each…
“Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15 AMP).