Yesterday was the third part in our church sermon series, Better –
Wisdom is better than gold.
We all make important decisions at various times in our lives. We make decisions & our decisions make us. When asked by God, “What do you want?”, Solomon responded, “Give me wisdom & knowledge.” (2 Chronicles 1:10). God was so pleased with his response that He gave him wisdom & so much more.
How much better to get wisdom than gold, and good judgment than silver! (Proverbs 16:16 NLT).
What did gold represent in Biblical times? wealth, security, power
The opposite of being wise is being a fool. So how do fools act? They….
- act before they think. “Wise people think before they act; fools don’t – and even brag about their foolishness.” (Proverbs 13:16, NLT).
- spend all they earn. “The wise have wealth & luxury, but fools spend whatever they get.” (Proverbs 21:20 NLT).
- hurt those they love. “A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands.” (Proverbs 14:1 NLT).
- think they know it all. “Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.” (Proverbs 12:15 NLT).
The question then becomes, How do I get wisdom?
- Start by fearing God. Fear—> a holy awe & reverence.
- Ask God. “If you need wisdom, ASK our generous God, & he will give it to you.” (James 1:5 NLT)
- Hang out with wise people. “Walk with wise people & become wise; associate with fools & get in trouble.” (Proverbs 13:20, NLT). You become like who you hang with.
So walk with the wise & GO GET WISDOM!
You can hear this message in its entirety here .