I’m not sure when early mornings became more of a necessity than a routine. Looking back, it was about the time the teenage years hit our family. As they became humans able to make their own choices, I knew there was no way I could be there mom without the help of my God. And I needed extra, more, above and beyond my own abilities.
The sound of the alarm clock was not welcomed in the beginning. Truth be known, at times I hit the snooze button, staying put for a bit longer. But as the days, and years, continued on, it became easier to wake up early. There were times I awoke before the alarm went off.
And now, early mornings are my favorite time of day.
The coffee is brewed and waiting for me in the kitchen; my Bible eager for me to open the pages.
The psalmist reminds me of the benefits of seeking God in Psalm 119:
- “Keep me from lying to myself; give me the privilege of knowing your instructions.” (verse 29)
- “Turn my eyes from worthless things, and give me life through your word.” (verse 37)
- “I will walk in freedom, for I have devoted myself to your commandments.” (verse 45)
- “Your promise revives me; it comforts me in all my troubles.” (verse 50)
- “I used to wander off until you disciplined me; but now I closely follow your word.” (verse 67)
- “You made me; you created me. Now give me the sense to follow your commands.” (verse 73)
- “Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.” (verse 105)
- “You are my refuge and my shield; your word is my source of hope.” (verse 114)
- “As pressure and stress bear down on me, I find joy in your commands.” (verse 143)
- “Those who love your instructions have great peace and do not stumble.” (verse 165)
Funny thing hit me recently … I drink way more coffee than I used to! Seriously. As I was counting the scoops of coffee one night, only as I poured the water, did I realize I had again upped the quantity. No matter how I try to cut back, the increase slowly happens over the course of time once again.
The same thing occurred with my morning time. It began with 15 minutes. And it has grown over the years.
Our appetite for the Word of God increases by making a habit of seeking Him daily.
Last week I posted this on Facebook:
“I go to bed every night with my coffee pot set for 5:15AM. Nothing like waking up to coffee & morning devotions and now I have a song that expresses the benefits of both! #coffee #Jesus #caffeine #feelingalive #supernaturalhigh”
Coffee and Jesus.
No cutting back now.
P.S. A quick edit because confession is good for the soul … This morning I hit the snooze button and did not wake up till 6:30AM. It happens some mornings still 🙂 But it’s all good. All by His grace. I’ll get the coffee pot ready and set the alarm clock once again tomorrow morning!