A new month & a new sermon series – The Parables Of Jesus. A few facts about parables:
- Parables represent one-third of Jesus’ teachings. To miss understanding them, one would miss a good portion of Jesus’ teaching.
- there are 37 parables in Scripture
- John uses nine allegorical stories which are different than parables
- themes of the parables generally are the kingdom of God, loss & redemption, the return of Christ.
Simply defined, a parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meaning.
Pastor taught on two parables with the theme being “The Kingdom of God”. The kingdom of God becomes a movement.
- The Parable of Great Treasure. Matthew 13:33. In a parable the words, “is like”, are often used to draw a comparison. In this parable, we see a man who finds a treasure hidden in a field, sells all that he has in order to go back & purchase the field. Pastor challenged us with this question: What would you sell everything for? You see, for the man in the parable, It cost something to get the best.
- The Parable of the Great Pearl. In this parable, we see a merchant looking for fine pearls. He finds that one pearl, which he realizes has great value, & sells everything to purchase the one pearl.
The Kingdom of God – – How much is it worth to you? What would you give up to see souls saved?
You can listen to the sermon in its entirety on the church website.