I love Andy Andrews.
I first saw him at Women of Faith a few years ago, where he was the Friday all day intensive speaker. Prior to that, I had not even heard of him. When he first came on the stage, I was left wondering, “Who is this man?”.
He talked so fast. He was all over the stage. Went from one thought to another without finishing the first thought.Â Some thoughts were disjointed. But it only took about 10 minutes for me to be hooked. And then I hung on each word. Every story made me laugh & cry. The points he had to make were driven home creatively, beautifully & poignantly. I have found that I remembered what he had to say. And shouldn’t that be the goal of any speaker? That their audience would retain what they had said?
I came home & began to read all his books. I had to catch up as there were some that had already been out a while & he had new ones coming out. Each book uniquely different but equally engaging. He caused me to desire to know more about history. About the past. He made me think.
Last night I read his latest book titled, “How Do You Kill 11 Million People?”.
It is a quick read that will leave you thinking for a long time. I went to bed thinking about it. I lie in bed thinking about it. And I woke up thinking about it. See, Andy makes you think. For a long time.
The answer to the title question?
You lie to them. (page 28).
Plain & simple. Yet is it really?
I hate lies. I truly do. I hate being lied to. I live my life desiring not to lie to others. My children were raised knowing that I would rather hear anything but a lie. Lies undermine & destroy trust.
This morning as I have continued thinking about Andy’s book & all that he shares, several thoughts have come to me.
- We need to remember just where all lies originate. In John 8:44, Jesus’ own words tell us, “He (Satan) was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”Â
- We need to remember why he came & the purpose of his lies. Again in Jesus’ own words, “The thief (Satan) comes only to steal and kill and destroy.” (John 10:10a NIV).
Now on the flip side, we need to remember:
- We need to remember where truth originates. Jesus states: “I am the way and the truth and the life.” (John 14:6 NIV).
- We need to remember why Jesus came & the purpose of His ministry & life. In His own words, “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (John 10:10b NIV).Â
- We need to remember why the truth is so critical to us. “Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:32 NIV).
- We need to remember that truth (and lies) have a lasting & permanent effect.Â “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” (John 8:36 NIV).
Kudos, to you Andy Andrews! You have written yet another thought provoking book.Â May the quest for truth become contagious. Thank you, Andy, for this little book that packs a powerful wallop. My hope is that many will pick it up & read it for themselves.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â