Sunday was the last part in our church series – Better.
Patience is better.
Some things just take a long time. For example…..
A bamboo seed will take 4 years to show any growth AT ALL. A bamboo farmer can put a seed in the ground & will look at dirt for four years. But then in that fifth year – the bamboo plant will grow 8 feet!
Patience is the companion of wisdom. (Saint Augustine)
Three reasons patience is better:
- A patient person can help heal a broken relationship. “A hot-tempered person stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel.” (Proverbs 15:18 NIV).
- A patient person gives God time to work. “Wait for the Lord; be strong & take heart & wait for the Lord.”(Psalm 27:14 NIV). Waiting does not equal laziness. What are you waiting on God for? Ask, “What is He trying to teach me in the waiting?” There is something that God wants to show us in the waiting that could never be discovered in the immediate. “But if we look forward to something we don’t yet have, we must wait patiently & confidently.” (Romans 8:25).
- Because God is patient with us! “But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends; A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, He is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent.” (2 Peter 3: 8-9 NIV). What is it that God is being patient with YOU about? It is time to obey.
So to summarize the series:
- Better is one day with God.
- Better to have one handful.
- Better to have wisdom that gold.
- Better a good name.
- Better to be patient.
May we each: Let go of the good to grab hold of the better!
You can hear this week’s sermon on the church website .