Each of our lives tell a story. Our stories will live on long after we leave this earth. The Day I Met Jesus: The Revealing Diaries of Five Women from the Gospels by Mary DeMuth and Frank Viola, recounts the dramatic encounters Jesus had with five different women.
Five women – broken, imperfect, unwanted – whose lives changed forever the instant they met Jesus. Their stories are written poignantly and intimately in a diary sort of fashion. Mary paints a portrait of each of these women with such detail so as to transport the reader back to the very day of the meeting. She brings clarity and emotion to each story as she recounts what each woman experienced leading up to their encounter….
- The Diary of a Woman Caught in Adultery. The woman set up, trapped with no way out. And we discover , “Grace ushers in forgiveness, but it also empowers us to walk in a new way.”
- The Diary of a Prostitute Who Loved Much. She loved men, faking interest, in the hopes one would truly love her back. And we discover, “God had a bigger plan, that He could trump what others had done and renew it somehow.”
- The Diary of a Desperate Samaritan Woman. She was beautiful but unable to bear children. Barren. Rejected and set free yet freedom would mean being homeless, empty and alone. And we discover, we are each sought out by our God. We are loved. We are noticed. He brings hope.
- The Diary of a Woman with a Flow of Blood. An infirmity which could not be helped. Constant, nagging bleeding which caused pain and isolation. This woman was desperate beyond all measure. Can we even begin to comprehend living without being embraced. No affection. Ostracized. And we discover, our Lord will let us come and touch Him even when we are yet unclean. God’s Kingdom breaks past our muddled situations and brings restoration.
- The Diary of the Woman Whom Jesus Loved. Mary, the sister of Lazarus. The woman who sat at the feet of Jesus taking in His words. And Jesus welcomed her, urging her to stay and listen. And we discover, being a servant is not about what we do. It is about our hearts being open and listening to Jesus, remaining teachable and close to Him. For it is then we find ourselves filled with hope in a troubled world.
Mary weaves each story rich with emotions and images. In reading these stories, we find our own stories in the midst of these women. As the narration goes on, the words of Jesus speak deeply into our hearts, touching places still needing freedom and healing. Mary DeMuth presents biblical narrative which paint vivid pictures of the real encounters with God in the flesh on the very soil of our earth.
Frank Viola further delves into each story by providing rich historical and theological background making the tale relevant to today. He applies life changing truths which will impact every reader, both women and men. This truly is not a book solely for women.
I am so grateful to have read this book for as I discovered I am no different than any of these five women …
For life has never been the same since The Day I Met Jesus.
The authors have graciously provided a free sample of the first chapter which you may DOWNLOAD right here.
**I was provided an electronic copy of the book in exchange for my honest opinions which were my joy to give.