By now you must be wondering if there is some sort of secret club by which moms are sworn to secrecy. Once in the club, a new mom must never admit that being a mom is challenging at best, difficult at worst. Members must always present themselves as having it all together. They must not let on that there is any struggle. They must seem to have both endless energy & creativity combined with being totally productive. And most of all, they must never admit that there are days they feel like a failure.
And so, I am here to let you in on things as they truly are….
- There will be days you will feel like you have gone through the day sleepwalking. Join the club.
- There will be days the kitchen sink will be piled equally as high as your laundry pile. Join the club.
- There will be days your pajamas will feel like they need to be peeled off your body. Join the club.
- There will be days you will not get to brush your teeth or shower. Join the club.
- There will be days you wonder if you were crazy to have a baby. Join the club.
- The next day you will wonder if you were crazy to even think that. Join the club.
- There will be days you will hope you can string two thoughts together. Join the club.
- There will be days you wonder how, when the baby is in your arms, your belly remains larger than life. Join the club.
- There will be days you wonder what is wrong with you. Join the club.
- There will be days you wonder how you could love such a little life so fiercely. Join the club.
These first days of motherhood are the most life-changing, challenging & difficult days you will ever endure. It is these days that you are going to discover you are stronger than you ever imagined, can love deeper than ever before & would not turn back the hands of time. I am not exactly sure why we feel the need to present ourselves as having it together all the time in total perfection. Perhaps it is time to break apart the secret club & join the true club of motherhood. This should be where we are able to share with transparency & vulnerability & discover these days are experienced by us all.
So join the club….the one where we rely on Him to comfort us and give us the strength these days truly demand.
“Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal comfort and a wonderful hope, comfort you and strengthen you in every good thing you do and say.” (2 Thessalonians 2:16, 17 NLT)