Since I am over fifty years of age, when another “over fifty” accomplishes the amazing, I find myself inspired. I am sure that there were many who felt the same way last week as we watched Diana Nyad’s amazing swim from Cuba to the Florida. Let’s look at a few facts:
- she was the first person to do this swim from Cuba to Florida without the aid of a protective cage (and yes!!! there was plenty she needed protection from as she swam in shark infested waters).
- she swam for fifty three hours
- she is sixty four years old
- she swam approximately 110 miles
Not being a swimmer at all, I found this all to be very impressive. But not nearly as impressive nor as inspirational as some of what she had to say about her accomplishment. After her swim, she stated, that while swimming, she received three messages:
- “One is we should never, ever give up.”
- “Two is you are never are too old to chase your dreams”
- “Three is it looks like a solitary sport, but it’s a team.”
This was Diana’s fifth try in thirty five years. Her first attempt was when she was twenty nine years of age. She managed to keep her dream alive for all those years. Time after time, she attempted the swim but had to give up due to asthma attacks, rough waters, paralyzing jelly fish bites, lightening storms and other dangers. But she never gave up her dream. This attempt her mantra was, “Find a way.” And she did.
In thinking about this amazing feat, I was reminded…
Therefore, since God in his mercy has given us this new way,Â we never give up. (2 Corinthians 4:1 NLT).
We keep going. We hold onto our dreams. We find a way.
We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. (verse 8, 9).
And why do we never give up?
so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies. (verse 10b).
What is the dream that God gave you, perhaps a long time ago? What have you let go of?
Today may you hear the words of Diana Nyad….
“You never are too old to chase your dreams.”
“Find a way.”