There are days I seem to have thoughts and questions mulling about in my mind constantly. If I were to attempt to paint a picture of what this seems like it would probably look like a highway or more so, like a four way intersection.
Options can lie before me adding to the turmoil already existing in my head. And the questions are many …
- What should I do?
- Which way do I go?
- What is God’s will in this for me?
- What if I make the wrong decision?
- How will I know if I have made the right decision?
- What school should I attend? Who should I marry? Which job should I pursue? Should I start a family now? Which house should I buy?
And the list can be endless.
Then there are the days when the nudging happens inside of me. Maybe you have experienced them as well …
- Make the call.
- Send the card.
- Bring a meal over.
- Go talk to that person.
- Tell the stranger, “Jesus loves them.”
Whether with the questions (and their answers), or with the nudgings, I always wonder how I can be certain it is from God.
Isaiah tells us this, “Your own ears will hear him. Right behind you a voice will say, “This is the way you should go,” whether to the right or to the left” (Isaiah 30:21, NLT). Isaiah assures me of three things:
- God will instruct His people. He will tell us Himself and we will know it is Him.
- God will no longer be distant. He will be right behind us.
- He will actively be guiding. He gives clear directions, each day, to guide us throughout our lives.
God guides His people today through His Holy Spirit, Whom resides in us, “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth” (John 16:13, NLT)). God has not left us to figure life out on our own. He has given us His Word and His Spirit to engage with us.
May we not harden our hearts to hear His voice when He speaks to us.
May we respond to the nudgings, obeying as He asks and leads.
We need to listen to …
The Voice within.