Recently two small books landed in my mailbox. They are small in size and large in encouragement.
We all have days which do not go as we had planned or hoped. Every woman faces days which are disappointing, frustrating, fears rise up, or the challenges seem unsurmountable.
Words of Comfort for Women by Carolyn Larsen is a small, pocket-sized book with 90 devotionals. It’s perfect to slip into a desk at work, kitchen drawer to reach for while cooking, or a tote bag while traveling.
Each reading is short in length and includes a Scripture. Some of my favorite thoughts from the book are:
- “If you steadfastly keep your mind centered on God, his Word, and the ways you’ve seen his hand in your life, then you will experience peace that can only come from him.”
- He [God] has kept his promises for thousand of years, and that’s not going to change now. Don’t expect him to act outside of his character or his Word. Know. him. Know his Word. Believe his love. Trust his faithfulness.”
- “So while life will get difficult once in a while, God has your back, and no one will hinder his plan. He won’t allow it. That should help with your worries. Celebrate God’s power and strength, which are greater than anything that causes you worry.”
- “Just as a child cries out or runs to a trusted comforter, you have the offer before you to run to God for your comfort. When you turn to him he comes close to you.”
- “Sometimes your comfort to another during a difficult time allows you the privilege of being “God with skin on” for them, which means he uses you to be the visible, practical reality of his love and comfort. God comforts you. You pass it on by comforting others.”
“God’s love is big, powerful, and constant,
and there is nothing he will not do for you!”
Words of Hope for Women is also by Carolyn Larsen. This book follows the same format as the the one above, bringing 90 short devotionals which include a Scripture and hope-filled encouragement.
A few of my favorite thoughts from this book include:
- “Keep hoping in God’s comfort and love. You won’t be disappointed.”
- “Nothing you do for God is done in vain … You may not immediately see the effect of your service – it may be one piece of a puzzle that takes years to complete – but God tells you not to lose hope, because you are making a difference!”
- “Make it your goal to reflect Jesus to all with whom you come in contact.”
- “The beauty of reaching out to get to know God is that he eagerly meets you, and he loves you even more that you love him!”
- “When you ask God for help he enhances your strength to keep on through whatever you’re dealing with. God will give you strength to face each new day … one at a time.”
“Make knowing and serving God the most important thing in your life.”
To hear “Well done, my good and faithful servant” will make it all worth it.
These books make excellent gifts because of their small and handy size and inexpensive price. They will bring a timely and encouraging word to any woman. Paired together, one will find the perfect word to encourage and uplift the soul.
** I was provided a copy of this book by Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group. The opinions expressed in this review are my own. This post contains affiliate links.Â If you click through and make a purchase, I will receive a small percent at no additional cost to you.