- It’s all His grace. Just when we think we might be at the end of His supply, “But he gives us even. more. grace.” (James 4:6, NLT) His supply of grace towards us in inexhaustible.
- The enemy within. We must know and name the enemy within, those desires which war against our soul, in order to effectively battle when they rise up. “What is causing the quarrels and fights among you? Don’t they come from the evil desires at war within you?” (James 4:1, NLT)
- We must deal with our divided hearts. Our hearts will remain divided unless we remove anything which pollutes our hearts. James uses the very same imagery as the priests who needed to purify themselves before entering the temple. “Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.” (James 4:8, NLT)
- Tomorrow is not guaranteed. We are not to brag about tomorrow. Today is all we have. This moment. We must be mindful to factor God into our everyday plans. “How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like a fog – it’s here a little while, then it’s gone. What you ought to say is, “If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.” (James 4:14-15, NLT) I was reminded of the words to an old hymn … “Many things about tomorrow. I don’t seem to understand. But I know who holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand.”
- The only way up is down. God desires a humble people. “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor.” (James 4:10, NLT)
James continues to be packed with much to think on and apply to our lives …
Grace and humility.
Down on your knees, it’s the only way up.
We humble ourselves, and
He gives us even more grace.