This week the study focused on this truth … “He speaks truth. Therefore, I will delight in His Word.” There is a deep seated joy which comes from spending time in Scripture which brings a lasting satisfaction to our lives.
- Psalm 1. This psalm addresses our need to have roots which go deeply into God’s Word. “They (those who delight in God’s Word) are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season.” (Psalm 1:3, NLT). Charles Spurgeon puts it this way: “Walk with God, and you cannot mistake the road; you have infallible wisdom to direct you, permanent love to comfort you, and eternal power to defend you.”
- Psalm 119:1-16. Outward obedience comes from our heart and will only come from what we have hidden there. May it be God’s Word which is found in the depths of our hearts. “I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.” (Psalm 119:11, NLT)
- Psalm 119:17-32. Only God can open our eyes to see what we need to learn about life and about ourselves. “Keep me from lying to myself; give me the privilege of knowing your instructions.” (Psalm 119:29, NLT). He is the only one who can teach us about ourselves. especially the truths we either cannot see or may not even want to admit.
- Psalm 119:33-48. Happiness comes from walking in God’s ways. Freedom comes from devoting ourselves to His Word. As we read and practice and apply His Word daily (sometimes hour by hour throughout the day), we find ourselves letting go of those things which would bind us. “I will walk in freedom, for I have devoted myself to your commandments.” (Psalm 119:45)
- Psalm 119:49-64. We must be “firmly anchored to his instructions.” (Psalm 119:61, NLT). This immediately brought to mind, Hebrews 6:19 – “This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls.” (NLT). This hope refers to two things – God’s promises and His oath, which He has bound Himself to. These two things are unchangeable as God will never change His mind and it is impossible for Him to lie. May this cause your spirit to celebrate in the trustworthiness of His Word to us!
“There is no book like the Bible. It is a miracle of literature, a perennial spring of wisdom, a wonderful book of surprises, a revelation of mystery, an infallible guide of conduct, an unspeakable source of comfort.” (Samuel Chadwick)